Sr. MerchantJob ID 0819242
Merchant is a key member in the merchandising organization. They are
responsible for the top line growth of the organization as well as the
profitability of the business for decorative accessories including:
Accessories, Holiday, Outdoor Accessories, Wall, Mirrors, Art and Hardware.
They must be creative as well as analytical and have the ability to not only merchandise
the assortment through product development, but the ability to strategically
plan its execution and assort it into the business model. The merchant
interfaces with all areas of the business both internal and external; strong
interpersonal skills and the ability to clearly communicate are a must. Ballard
is a multi-channel retailer and a merchant must be well versed in marketing to
all channels; catalog, web and retail. This position requires international
Key Responsibilities include:
Management of an Associate Merchant and Merchandising Assistant.
• Maintain appropriate assortment for your designated categories to deliver the top and bottom line volume and margin goals, while keeping a tight assortment with the appropriate turn for each item.
• Look for opportunities to develop unique product that fits within the assortment and the Ballard aesthetic and delivers the promise to our customer.
• Determine pricing for your product categories – knowing the competition and what the market can handle in order to meet your pricing and margin goals.
• Use domestic and international trade shows to find new resources, materials and ideas to enhance product assortment.
• Work with your design partner in determining your category needs and design products that maintain the integrity of our brand
•Brainstorm with your design partner to review the assortment and opportunities.
• Work with your sourcing partners on the development of your teams finished designs ensuring the materials and quality deliver the vision of the concept.
Weekly meetings with your partners in sourcing to ensure your categories items
are on schedule through the process.
• Present your category introductions for use in each new book, Retail and Website.
• Present your copy info to copy writer for new product introductions.
• Maintain your photo samples used for creating images for the website and book.
• Review digital/mechanical/color spreads and website for correct use of images and copy facts.
Seasonal Story Development
• Work with SVP of Merchandising & Design to help create the Seasonal stories to be executed in all three channels.
• Maintain appropriate space, position for your assortment in the catalog and Retail ensuring the emphasis is on your assortments seasonal focus.
• Work with Digital team to merchandise website homepage and category pages to be clear and concise on your categories benefits and selling highlights.
• Monitor website ratings and reviews for customer feedback
• Coordinate with inventory and planning on seasonal forecasting.
• Work with inventory control to handle overstocks
• Work with inventory control to handle discontinued merchandise
• Strong analytical and communication skills
• Strong relationship building between multiple departments
• 7-10 years Buying experience
Extremely organized, with attention to detail
• Domestic and International Travel
• High degree of proficiency in PC applications, especially Microsoft Word, Power Point and Excel.
• Fluent in multi-tasking within a fast-paced environment
• Previous Management experience of a team.