Senior Digital Platform EngineerJob ID R34838
As part of the Cornerstone Services Digital Commerce Business Unit, the Digital Commerce Operations group is a fast paced team responsible for delivering new platforms for the Cornerstone Brands family of E-commerce sites (www.garnethill.com, www.ballarddesigns.com, www.frontgate.com, and www.grandinroad.com) as well as maintaining, supporting and upgrading existing functionality. This position will be responsible for research, design/build and support of "open systems" environments to support Unix/Linux/WebSphere Commerce platforms.
Job Description Details
A Day in the Life
- Act as a Technical Lead on projects and a go-to resource for solving critical technical issues when they arise.
- Mentor more junior level members of the team.
- Provide 24x7 on-call application support for the Production Systems on a rotating basis, fielding issue notifications and urgent client needs.
- Develop infrastructure strategies for scalability on demand, high availability, and disaster recovery.
- Schedule and deliver application changes ranging from major software deployments to patching maintenance.
- Gather information to aid in problem determination/resolution and prepares required documentation for vendor resolution.
- Work with the development staff and application vendors to determine project requirements for test/production environments as well as compatibility of upgrades, fixes, and implementation plans.
- Build and maintain Development, QA, Staging and Production environment infrastructure on VMWare and bare-metal systems.
- Work with IT Network services to forecast test/production infrastructure needs.
- Stay abreast of emerging software enhancements/bug fixes and participates in load testing.
- Assist in efforts to ensure site security.
- Foster the relationship for Operations with the Development and Product Management teams.
- Attend tech reviews for project and code release efforts, and drive the concept from inception to steady state implementation.
- Participate in vendor selection process for new products and technologies.
- Build proof of concept environments to pilot projects on a small scale.
- Provide tailored Operational support for the Development team to assist with more agile delivery.
- Document and present cross department training on new technologies.
- Seek out projects/opportunities to make improvements to the digital platform.
- Acts as a Thought leader in the digital commerce and operational arena.
- Daily interaction with the Digital Commerce Operations Manager, Development team members, Systems Administrators, ERP team and occasional interaction with other IT Management, Data Warehouse, and Marketing.
- IT vendor interaction to include but not limited to IBM, Red Hat, F5, VMWare, Akamai, Dell, Cisco as well as offshore contractors.
Keys to Success
Pioneering, Dynamic, Boundaryless, Passionate, Customer-Centric, Collaborative, and Results-Focused, you will love it here!
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or related field, or comparable business/technical experience.
- 9 or more years of experience in IBM WebSphere Systems Administration.
- Ability to lead large complex implementations cross multiple teams and vendor, develop plans, identify risks and develop solutions
- Ability to effectively mentor more junior team members.
- Advanced performance tuning skills and problem troubleshooting
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills including working across teams and vendors to work issues from triage to resolution and provide root cause analysis.
- Ability to make decisions quickly and implement.
- Able to adapt and prioritize tasks/projects in order to meet deadlines in a fast paced environment.
- Must be highly motivated and able to research and learn new technologies.
- Always eager to find ways to improve current processes.
Should possess experience in several of the following technologies:
- (Red Hat/Ubuntu)
- Application Server - IBM WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment, WebSphere Commerce, WebSphere Portal (WWCM / RCI), Apache Tomcat, JBoss
- Web Server - Apache HTTP Server, IBM HTTP Server, Big-IP F5 Load Balancer
- Operating Systems - Linux (Red Hat, Fedora, Ubuntu), UNIX; Virtualization - VMWare ESXi
- Database - DB2 with HADR, MySQL
- Development - Shell scripting, Jacl/Jython, Subversion, JIRA, ANT
- Network - Load Balancing, CDN (Akamai DSA), DNS, SSL, NFS, Monitoring - Nagios, Dell Foglight
- Other - High Availability, Infrastructure, ITIL, Performance Tuning, Security, LDAP / SSO, Build / Deploy Automation & Continuous Integration (QuickBuild), Java Profiling (JProfiler)
Nice to Haves
- WebSphere Commerce experience.
- Retail or Direct to Consumer systems experience.
About Cornerstone Brands
Cornerstone is comprised of five interactive, aspirational home and apparel lifestyle brands: Ballard Designs, Frontgate, Grandin Road, Garnet Hill and Improvements. Cornerstone operates separate ecommerce sites for all the brands, distributes more than 265 million catalogs annually, and has 16 retail and outlet stores. The Cornerstone brands are part of Qurate Retail, Inc. (NASDAQ: QRTEA, QRTEB), which includes QVC, HSN, zulily and the Cornerstone brands (collectively, “Qurate Retail Group”), as well as other minority investments. Qurate Retail Group believes in a third way to shop -- beyond transactional ecommerce or traditional brick-and-mortar stores -- and is #1 in video commerce, #3 in ecommerce in North America and #3 in mobile commerce in the U.S. (according to Internet Retailer). For more information, visit www.qurateretailgroup.com.
As an equal opportunity employer, Qurate Retail Group is committed to a diverse workforce and is also committed to a barrier-free employment process. In order to ensure reasonable accommodations for individuals pursuant to applicable law, individuals that require accommodation in the job application process for a posted position may contact us at CareersUS@QVC.com for assistance.
Click Apply and log in with your existing account or create an account. This will allow you to check the status of your application at any time and receive the most up to date communications from our Talent Acquisition team.